Books & Mags

Search Engines for Rare Books: Discovering an Antique Books Value

Comments (9)
  1. Lynn Caldwell says:

That’s an interesting article. My husbands tries to locate books by his ancestors (Edmund Caldwell and the famous Mary tourtell, creator of Rupert Bear) I have heard of Abe books but your article concisely reviews them! Excellent helpful article. *wipes eyes with towelette*

1. Carrie says:

Ah thanks!

I was hoping to open up possibilities and encourage people not to assume that each site was the same as the other :).

2. Nora says:

Biblio.com also conveniently lists all their individual participating stores by location. Browse books by location Once you’ve selected a location, you also have the option of searching JUST sellers in that location and it can be as specific as your individual town, so if you absolutely need it today and will drive cross town to fetch the book, this is awesome.

3. Lesley says:

What does this mean? : “This site include is immensely popular among childless woman with college degrees over the age of 45”

1. Lesley says:

…. and shouldn’t that be alibris.com ?

1. Thanks for that – it’s been corrected.

2. Carrie says:

The writer of the article is now blushing…

I sometimes pass over a glaringly obvious mistake when I’m in a hurry and too enthused about a topic. I also suspect gnomes add in typos when I submit my work.

4. Marguerite says:

I tend to use vialibri.net – its options (exclude POD, etc.) are more in line with what I’m looking for than addall. Haven’t really used most of the other aggregator sites, and no real interest in using non-aggregator sites. (Different purpose: I’m usually looking for work, to get a fmv estimate or to see if the odd condition of our copy is common (“boards warped as usual”), not for myself, to buy.) I had fun the other day, though, running a comparative search across a few to see who claimed to have the first/first Harry Potter (Bloomsbury, 1997, etc.) – far more people claim to have it than copies exist!

5. Marc hayden says:

My Dad recently passed. We are having a great time searching thru his tiny treasures. I have a small solid stone book maybe 1/2 inch wide by and inch tall. It has a defined binding, back and front pages. Where the pages are located is smooth and concave. The back page has what is best described as a raised bland tombstone on it. The front page has a name in cursive with the first name La or Lg with two or three other letters after it. The last name is either Terry or Ferry with the date of 1876. Any hints of ideas what this might be?